On April 12, 2017, Aliyu Umar, 27, began his day, carefully preparing a charcoal fire with which he would prepare breakfast of noodles, bread, fried eggs and tea for his early morning customers.

His makeshift shop was a hotspot for residents of Unguwar Hausawa community, in Nyanya, a suburb of Abuja. When they needed a light breakfast or dinner, Mr Umar’s shop was the destination.

Mr Umar came to Abuja from Sokoto State five years ago. It was rough for him in the first few months, switching trades, before he finally settled for food vending.

Nearby, a faulty high-tension power cable passing overhead his shop and two residential buildings were being repaired that morning by the staff of Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, AEDC, but the men carried out a bad job because later that day one of the cables was left hanging loose – dangerously.

Concerned residents in the area observed that one of the cables was frayed and could fall on any of their buildings. So, a call was placed to the AEDC office to fix the problem.

continue here :